Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Baby Food Maker


Behold my latest toy – the Beaba Babycook baby food maker. It steams, blends, purees, defrosts and reheats baby food. Of course, I can easily do all these tasks with a stovetop veggie steamer, blender and microwave, but I love having everything in one easy-to-clean, compact package purpose-built for baby-sized portions.

Today was my first test run with the Babycook as I prepared Isla’s next food – organic green peas. Because it’s March and there are no fresh peas at my disposal, I used frozen ones, which meant I had to employ two of the Babycook’s functions: defrost and puree. I’m happy to report the Babycook does what it claims, and beautifully smooth, bright green goop will be Isla’s breakfast/lunch for the next several days. To ensure a good consistency, I pureed the peas using the left-over steaming water, adding valuable nutrients back into her food. And, just as I did with her sweet potato, I also added a bit of organic coconut oil to the mix.

I do, however, have one complaint: the puree function is only set to “pulse”. This means you have to hold the knob to puree; you can’t simply just walk away and let it do its thing. This is a significant oversight for a product marketed to moms (and dads), for whom multitasking is a means of survival. A locked position in the puree function would be welcomed.

As for the peas, in addition to being on the list of good foods to introduce early on, they’re chalk-full of vitamins A, C and K, as well as niacin, folate, potassium, iron, magnesium, calcium and zinc. Tomorrow we'll know if perfectly pureed peas go down as well as the sweet potato did.

No comments:

Post a Comment