Sunday, March 27, 2011

If At First You Don’t Succeed, Try, Try Again...

A friend of mine told me that her daughter just could not get enough of peas when she was Isla’s age, so I was hopeful my fancily-pureed peas would be a hit. My optimism was short-lived. The peas were a spectacular failure. First Isla grimaced, then shuddered, then spit them out and gagged in an impressive show of distaste. And who can blame her? I don’t find pureed peas appealing in the least. But I persisted. After several tries, at different times of day and at varying temperatures (cold, tepid, room temperature...), we moved onto something more palatable: organic carrots. Alas, another failed experiment. Isla rejected the carrots almost as fully as the peas.

There’s a (minor) debate about whether fruit or veggies should be introduced as a baby’s first food. Some say babies should experience veggies before creating a taste for sweeter food (fruit), while others counter that breastmilk itself is sweet, so why not start with something along the same lines?

I was interested in trying veggies first to see how they would go down, and out of the four we’ve tried, she’s enjoyed two: sweet potato and avocado (coincidentally, two of my favourite, although avocado is technically a fruit). But it's time to mix it up a bit. Because the peas and carrots were barely ingested, I thought it was safe to forgo the one-food/six-day food sensitivity rule and explore a new culinary experience for Isla.

So banana it is! As it turns out, Isla was as keen on banana as she was with sweet potato, eating an entire banana (about 70 ml pureed) in one sitting. And thank God for that. I was beginning to think she had given up on solids entirely....

No comments:

Post a Comment